Monday, May 12, 2008

Danson of Wing Farm-Morgan Gelding


Dan as we call him was born two days after 911, September 13, 2001. After feeling pain and suffering for those who lost loved ones, we had new life. He was born about eight o'clock in the morning. I returned from taking my daughter to school to find this little brown guy trying to struggle to his feet. I was so excited, yet upset at myself that I didn't realize what was happening when I left for school. I say his mother go in the barn, but that was not unusuall at that time of day. If I had just gone to look instead of being so stressed about making it on time, my daughter could have seen him being born.

When I was watching Dan struggling to his feet, I noticed a lump on the side of his nose. My first thoughts were that he was malformed. It made me sad, because he was so beautiful. He nursed fine and as time went and he began eating solids, he would eat fine, but the he would work to clean out the food that was stuck in the side of the mouth. I had the vets look at him and we kinda thought this was a life long problem, though he always got the food unstuck by himself, it was not a pretty sight.

As he grew, the lump got smaller. We fugured in the growing process that it might grow out some and be less noticeable. With out thinking about it, the lump went away. At age two, we took Dan to the vets to have him castrated. I asked that his wolf teeth be removed and when the vet pulled is lip back, there was a one inch or better tooth. The tooth on the other side was only about a third the sized. Appearantly that wolf tooth cause the lump and it finally grew down. Nature takes care of its own!

Dan is now six, nearly seven. He is about 14.2 hands round and compact. He is old style Morgan and the most willing and forward horse. We started him slowly. As a three year old, we round penned, saddled and mounted, but left him to mature to four. We rode him a few times that year and then last year he did trail and ring work and he started over cross rails. He gives nicely to the bit and works with his hind quarters.

My daughter is working him now to get ready for Pony Club Dressage Rally. She continues with ring work, ground work to keep his manners in check, and has started ground pole, caveletti and cross rail work today. He jumped a pile of brush beautifully.

It gives such pleasure to see a horse that you raised out working so well. We have put a good foundation on him, let him mature physically and mentally before giving him work to do. This shows in Dan's abilty to perform now as compared to the two and three year old stage.

1 comment:

pmuncie50 said...

I enjoyed reading your interesting and refreshing story of your Morgan, Danson.
What a wonderful animal he is.
He reminds me of a Morgan I once owned many years ago and kept him on my mother's cousin's farm near Greene, NY.
Wynnakee John, "Musket" was the joy of my life and a loyal and loving companion.
I have loved Morgans all my life and still to this day, enjoy reading and still learning about this fantastic breed.
My fella was a chestnut with two white hind pasterns.
Musket had such a sweet temperment and used to follow me around like a big puppy. My uncles, used to call Musket "chicken ears" because of his small ears, however, that was my fella for ya.
I'm sure that you and your family thoroughly enjoy Danson bringing such happiness to your lives, because my Musket always did.
From the photos, your fella is so much the old typey Morgan, something that is so much sought after. Musket was somewhat of the old type as well. His Grandpa was Up Way Benn Don....kind of tells you how long ago I owned him. He was born way back in 1969. And yes, I'm a bit older now, but I will never outgrow the love of Morgans, (as my husband constantly hears about).
You must be so proud of Danson and his accomplishments.
I never got into showing Musket, however, back then and now, I still love watching horse shows if I can.
I guess you could say that Musket was my best friend whom I loved and cherished and enjoyed many a good ride together.
Your Danson is by far, a beautiful and formidable horse.
If you would like, please feel free to contact me anytime and let me know how Danson is coming along. He is definitely worth everything. Take care and enjoy,

Patty.....PMuncie50@aol.com