Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Charlie, The Beagle

Beagles have never been noted for their herding instincts, but let me tell you, my guy Charlie, is best friend to my sheep.Charlie, now about to turn twelve this summer, keeps active on look out for preditors. My sheep start to travel off to pasture and Charlie runs to catch up and goes before them. He often sits on knoll above them looking around. It is like he sits on watch and looks everything over to see if it is alright, and then he comes back to the house. He often sleeps out with them at night. In the winter he will sleep on top of them. He cuddles himself down into the fuzzy, warm back and you will find him there come morning.There are many coyetes surrounding my property. They howl in packs and come quite close. Charlie goes immediately on alert and keeps them at bay by barking. I believe they would be right in my yard if not for Charlies' warning bark.Charlie is from Timberswamp bloodlines bred by my father-in-law. He comes down from the field trial winner, Timberswamp Tommy. I wanted to keep this bloodline, so I crossed Charlie with a miniature, blue tick female and now have a pair of the most beautiful pups. The youngest male, Albert, seems to be watching his father and I see he goes to the sheep and sits. Last winter, one cold sunny day, I found him laying on one of the sheep. He was so comfortable he just relaxed to the point he was hanging off. Charlies' sister also would sleep with the sheep. She used to herd baby goats back to the barn if they would sneak out the door. Charlie is the best dog I have ever owned. He has a happy personality, comes for attention, but never stays long, and goes about his business never underfoot. He likes to go with us when we go on trail rides. I think this is way of keeping watch over all of us here at ON A WING AND A PRAYER FARM!

1 comment:

pmuncie50 said...

Another cute and refreshing story about your beagle Charlie.
He must be quite a guy, loving and loyal, and maintaining his post with the sheep.
My husband once had a beagle too. She coveted the same name, however, Charlie was a girl...no dignity there. I think my husband named her after his dad, not sure.
Your Charlie is quite the herder of the flock.
Over the years, we've had 3 collies, and 1 border collie mix. Their names were Traveler, Captain, and Donovan, and the border collie mix was Buddy.
They were so much a part of our lives, including the growing up years of our 2 sons, who are now in their late 20's.
We now own a German Shepherd Dog, Laramie-Joe who is 4, and a Pug, Heidi-Sue who is 13 1/2.
Little Miss. Heidi runs the show around here, meanwhile, Laramie has no idea how big he is, (he thinks he's the size of something half his size, when in fact, he's the size of a miniature horse).
He, like Heidi is the sweetest canines around town.
Everytime someone stops by, I think Laramie they stop over to see him.
When Laramie is not chasing birds out of the yard at the birdfeeder, he keeps busy bugging our 2 cats, Aloysis and Jeremy.
Whenever bored, Laramie always finds things to do; many times not quite what we had in mind. He's a nut!!
Everyone in the neighborhood know Laramie and get the biggest charge out of him.
Anyway, great post....have a great day!

Patty